Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Wings of Change Lenormand: The Making of the Letter

Final image
I was asked recently what it was like working with Elisabeth Arena on the Wings of Change Lenormand.  Although the process took a lot longer than we'd originally intended, overall I was really happy with it.  It felt like a true partnership, with plenty of back and forth between us, each making suggestions to improve the final product.

For instance, you can see here the final image for the Letter. 

In my original sketch, I had the faery sat at a regular table, and very little sense of perspective:

My "sketch"

Elisabeth altered the perspective, giving the image a lot more depth, which I loved:

Elisabeth's sketch
Yet, the colours she first used felt too cold to me:

Stone table



I tinkered with the image in Photoshop, and sent her this suggestion for how to adapt it:

Photoshopped tree stump
From there, Elisabeth reworked the image to its beautiful, final form.  It was great that we could each bring something to the process, and be open to the other's suggestions and point of view.  Altogether, I'd say there was a real sense of teamwork, which felt comfortable and effective.  And I hope that through this process we've managed to create something that others will love, too.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this process with us. I wonder what this fairy is about to write on her leaflet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy finding out about what goes on behind the scenes, so I hope it'll interest others. As for what she's about to write, in true Lenormand style I'd say you'd have to check the other cards... ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Chloe! Beautiful with warm colours; her face is very sweet and I think these colours make the reader connect better with the card. In my personal opinion I feel it more close, with the back of table in warm. I think it will highlight the letter itself. Big kiss and Muchas Estrellas for Wings of Change Lenormand!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! Yes, I think her face is lovely, too. And for me the card needed warmth, otherwise she seemed sad. Besos fuertes, Chloë

      Delete
  3. Yes, I adore reading about the process too. It's why I did something similar on my blog recently with two major cards.

    This is a fantastic image and I love Elizabeth's art style. There is something very uplifting about it, but it isn't cutesy. I always enjoyed Lo Scarabeo's Fae Tarot for that reason. I really enjoy the pencil sketches, also.

    I really look forward to seeing more of this deck, Chloe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. Yes, the non-cutesy-ness was a big reason I chose Elisabeth. She paints things that are a little strange, yet still wonderful :) And I know what you mean about the Fey Tarot, still one of my all-time favourites!

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of thought and work put into each card; well done both of you! It is nice to work with someone with whom the communication flows freely back and forth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the open flow of communication was one of the things I valued most in this process. It felt great to have someone who was really open to hearing my suggestions, and who brought so much skill and knowledge with her! :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice partnership/collaboration. I guess I need to get caught up on your blog! Augh. I didn't realize you were working on this! XOXO, MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't start talking about it til I thought it was nearly done. Now, there are some delays in getting it actually printed, but at least the deck itself is complete :)
      Hugs, Cxxx

      Delete