Monday, 20 April 2015

Ancestral Path Tarot Reading

This week, it's back to tarot, and the second deck I ever bought!  The Ancestral Path Tarot (1996) was Julie Cuccia-Watts' first deck, and has recently been reissued by US Games (2014).  It is a stunningly beautiful deck, with a multi-cultural approach.  More details in the overview on Friday...

Now: The Chariot

Doesn't this guy look like he's in charge of his own destiny?  His red cape billows out around him, full of passion and power, as he rides through the starry night, pulled by a dark and a light lion.  No chasing after toddlers in dirty nappies for him! :D

Okay, with the Easter holidays over, it's time to get back to choosing my own path, rather than focusing on the kids

Don't: Five of Swords

According to the companion book by Tracey Hoover, this young samurai is performing a fishing ceremony.  However, the same paragraph describes him as sitting with two swords balanced behind him, so we can perhaps ignore that.  Still, I quite like her suggestion that this can indicate youthful idealism... 

Overall, in the image, I still see someone holding swords while others lie discarded on the floor.  A samurai would never willingly be parted from his sword.  And so, without any other figures here, we still have the traditional suggestion of defeat and humiliation.

Yet, losing a sword, or an ideal, isn't really the end of the world.  So long as we carry on, things can be regained and we can create new ideals.  The message I get is "Don't let small setbacks knock you off your Chariot!"

Do: Seven of Cups

Once again, this card has a slightly different emphasis.  We see Morgana Le Fey and her brother King Arthur.  She is using these cups for scrying, seeing all that will befall Arthur.  Yet, how can he tell if these visions are real, if there is any way around them?

As someone who believes that we have some ability to affect reality, to me this joins up with the traditional meaning to assess your choices wisely.  Things are not always as they seem.  It's necessary to look more deeply to see if something is as good as it seems.  Contemplating a couple of important business decisions, this makes a lot of sense to me!

To see journal prompts based on these cards, click here.

10 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be great if we could taste as sip from each cup before we we had to choose one.
    I am glad to see you are confidently moving forward and your lions are heading in one directions
    I can remember how I always felt a sigh of relief when school holidays were over and the house was mine again :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the Little One is still at home, but goes out to play groups and rhyme times. So yes, a sigh of relief :) And yes, I do sometimes wish we could taste each cup before choosing!

      Delete
  2. These are eclectic cards; a Roman guard, a Japanese soldier in training and English mythology. Yet, as a whole this reading flows. Very interesting cards.
    I like Ellen's wish that it would be great that we had the chance to sip from our cups before we could choose, how many of us would still choose wisely? BB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Moonstone, yes, they are eclectic cards - each of the four suits takes a different culture as its focus, and the Majors are even more varied in both location and time frame. Still, as you say, they work :) BB.

      Delete
  3. I've had two copies of the original deck and gave both away years ago. I'm not sure why... The paintings are beautiful for the cards. Is this the original or the newly released version on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't imagine ever giving these away! As I say, this is the original deck, and it was the second one I ever owned, after the Radiant Rider Waite. I still adore it :)

      Delete
  4. I've been using this as my deck of the week for the past couple of weeks. What I love about it apart from the gorgeous art is her vision of women as strong and sensual without the usual feeling of objectification that often accompanies this depiction. She manages to allow the viewer a sense of immediacy, a sense of 'being with'. I just love this deck. I'm currently trying to track down a copy of the book. Do you find it helpful in expanding on the card? It feels like there's a backstory to each card.

    Bev, I have the newly released version and it looks just like the above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I shall have to come and check that out, Rose :) Yes, the people all feel very human. As for the book, some bits are great, some bits don't quite seem to match the cards. The backstory is helpful, though. Each suit follows a tale from a different culture - and the story arcs go from Ten down to One, rather than going up, as they do in the Mythic Tarot by Juliet Sharman-Burke. It's an interesting premise, that overall works pretty well :)

      Delete
  5. I'd forgotten just how good that Chariot was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the feeling of movement in his billowing cape, and the mystical expanse of sky behind him :)

      Delete